Tangra Macher Jhal (Spicy tangra fish curry)

Today I was talking with my mother in Skype. She is always eager  to know if  we are  getting good fish or not, are they very fresh, if they tastes good? Bengali’s cannot think launch or dinner without fish. So I assured her “don’t worry mom my freezer is stocked with fish”.


I am here for couple of years and  I am homesick. I am missing my home,especially my mom’s cooking,  It was used to taste different, thinking of my mom’s dishes brings cravings. Trying her recipe makes me happy, but I can’t do like my mom. Last week I bought tangra fish and I tried my mom’s recipe “Tangra macher jhal”. It’s a simple fish recipe but awesome in taste.


Cooking time - 30 minutes
Preparation time - 10 minutes
Serves – 2
shadesofcooking.blogspot.com

Ingredients


Tangra fish – 4 pieces
Cilantro /coriander leaves – ½ cup paste
Green chili – 6/7 pieces
Tomato – 1 medium
Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
Dried red chili – 1 piece
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Onion seeds (kalo jeera) – ½ tsp
Garlic – 4 cloves
Ginger paste – 1 inch
Salt to taste
Mustard oil to fry fish and make curry.


Method - First wash fish pieces drain all excess water then rub fish pieces with turmeric powder and salt.
In a grinder add garlic, ginger, tomato and green chili make a smooth paste keep aside.
Heat oil in pan/kadai then add fish pieces and just fry for 2 minutes. Then take it out and keep aside. In that pan add some oil and let it warm then add kalo jeera and dried red chili. When kalo jeera starts crackling add garlic ginger paste and fry till oils came out. Now add cilantro paste and stir for 5 minutes to thick.
Add fish pieces and if needed add 1 tbsp water. Put the lid and wait for 5 to 8 minutes to cook the fish. Switch off the stove. Tangra jhal is ready to eat with hot steamed rice.


Happy cooking!!



Comments

Post a Comment