Kumro Patai Bhapa Chingri(Steamed Shrimp in Pumpkin Leaves)

In India region of West Bengal Kumroshak or pumpkin leaves is a famous culinary ingredient. We made stir fry, curry and many other things out of it. Hilsa fish or shrimp with pumpkin leaves is divine.Here in USA I searched in every grocery shop but I can't find pumpkin leaves. Pumpkin is very famous thing in the time of Halloween, but no pumpkin leaves. So normally I use banana leaf to make steamed shrimp or steamed Hilsa fish. Method is same only its tastes different. This spring in my small balcony I potted lots of flower plants and some herbs and leafy vegetables. One day when I am talking with my dad about my garden he told me why don't you plant some pumpkin seeds, then you can get some pumpkin leaves. So I planted pumpkin seeds and now they are eatable. Today I made Steamed Shrimp, marinated shrimp  wrapped by pumpkin leaves. It's a delicacy. I made it in my bamboo steamer but you can used normal steamer or oven to made it. Steamed cooking is always very healthy it keeps food very nutritious and maintain its original taste. 









Serves - 2

Preparation time - 30 minutes

Cooking time - 15 - 20 minutes.


Ingredients

10 medium shrimp(peeled and cleaned)          

10 kumro pata or pumpkin leaves (cleaned)

5 - 6 green chili paste                                                                     

1 tbsp coconut powder

1 tbsp poppy seed paste

1/2 tbsp mustard powder

1 1/2 tbsp mustard oil

1 tbsp plain yogurt                                         

Salt to taste










Method

In a medium bowl add green chili paste, poppy seed paste, mustard powder, yogurt, mustard oil and salt as needed. Add shrimp and mix it very well. Marinate for at least 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes in  one pumpkin leaf  pour one shrimp with 2 tsp of marination and wrapped it up like a pouch.To prevent leaking bind it with strings. Repeat it to all pumpkin leaves and shrimp. Keep aside.

In a wide frying pan add 2 to 3 inches of water. Let it boil. Place banana leaves on bottom of steamer to avoid sticking.  Place wrapped pumpkin pouch on banana leaves. Cover it with lid. Place steamer to the frying pan on boiling water.

Let it cook for 15 minutes. Then take out the steamer from boiling water.  Steamed Shrimp in pumpkin leaves is ready to serve. Serve hot with steamed rice.


Happy Cooking


Like Facebookpageshadesofcooking

Comments

Post a Comment