Doi Ilish( Hilsa/Shad fish cooked in Yogurt gravy.)

Doi Ilish, Doi Ilish recipes, Ilish recipes,Bengali fish recipes, Ilish mach, Hilsa Fish,Mach ranna r recipe, Bengali Doi Ilish recipe, shadesofcooking

Doi Ilish/ Hilsa( Hilsa/shad fish in yogurt gravy):

In my dad's house, there is a tradition, that after Bijoya Dashami ( The last day of Durga Puja/Dussera)Dashami you can't eat Hilsa/ Ilish fish. Again we start eating Hilsa/ Ilish fish from the day of Saraswati Puja. On that day, we usually need to buy two whole Hilsa fish. After smearing it with turmeric and vermillion, my uncle used to place it in a Kulo( A bamboo made thing)and take it upon his head and circle around our house. Then the fish get clean and prepared for cooking. I describe this story for a reason. 
I love Hilsa/ Ilish fish like anything. I can consider Biryani, Icecream, and lots of my most favorite thing for it. Hence, there is a long gap for not eating this fish when my friends are eating it and it is available in the market, obviously, I am not happy with this tradition. My dad makes me understand that there is some reason behind it. In my house, everybody knows it and in the time of Durga Puja it is obvious we had Hilsa/Ilish fish every day and on the day of Saraswati Pujo, the big piece was always there for me. The twist is after my marriage in my in-law's house there is no such tradition. So I am so happy that I will be able to eat Hilsa/Ilish fish year long. 

Doi Ilish, Doi Ilish recipes, Ilish recipes,Bengali fish recipes, Mach ranna r recipe

God smiles at me at that time I think now. I came to the USA. Yes!! Hilsa/Ilish fish available here but those are frozen. If you are too lucky it will taste good as Kolkata's but I think I am not so lucky. So last year we tried two times and those are not so good then I stop buying it. This year I feel a craving for Hilsa/Ilish fish again and it is time for puja right, I need Hilsa/Ilish fish. Literally, I prayed to God, Please God get me some good Hilsa/ Ilish fish. Yes, I got good Hilsa/ Ilish fish from my near Indian grocery store, the fish was packed with egg/roe. I made up my mind about what I should make. I separated and distributed fish pieces in different boxes, put them in the freezer. I am so happy and today when I made this fish preparation I was kind of dancing, my husband said it is Hilsa/ Ilish fish, not a diamond ring!!  Relished and satisfied after eating Doi Ilish with steamed rice and of course, I saved the fish egg for the last bite. See I am so happy that I wrote a long long blog which I generally never do. 
Hilsa/ Ilish fish is very easy to cook, it takes more or less 15 minutes and you can do it with fewer spices. Follow my recipe and please pour your comment on how it goes.

Doi Ilish, Doi Ilish recipes, Ilish recipes,Bengali fish recipes, Mach ranna r recipe

Ilish Macher Mathar Pulao
-------------------------------------------------------

Course - Side dish( Doi Ilish)
Dish - Bengali
Author- Usashi Mandal
Serves- 6 
Preparation time- 20 minutes
Cooking time - 15 - 20 minutes

Ingredients:
5 pieces of Hilsa/Ilish fish
1 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp white mustard seeds
12-14  green chilies
2 tsp turmeric powder
4 tbsp yogurt
1/2 cup water
Mustard oil
Salt for seasoning



Doi Ilish, Doi Ilish recipes, Ilish recipes,Bengali fish recipes, Mach ranna r recipe

Instructions:

1. For making Doi Ilish first clean the fish, drain all water and rub turmeric powder and salt on it very nicely. Keep aside.
2. In lukewarm water soak poppy seeds and mustard seeds.
3. In a blender make a smooth paste of poppy seeds and mustard seeds with salt and 6 green chilies.
4. Slit the rest of the green chilies lengthwise and beat the yogurt nicely in a mixing bowl.
5. In a big hard base pan or Kadai add mustard oil, the paste of poppy and mustard seeds, water, and salt to taste. Mix it nicely and place fish pieces on it. Add the rest of the green chilies.
6. Switch on the flame and slow cook for 10 minutes flipping the fish pieces once. Hilsa fish is very delicate so be cautious while flipping them.
7. After 10 minutes add yogurt and mix it. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. Check the seasoning. Add 2 tbsp of mustard oil on top and switch off the flame.
8. Cover the pan and rest it for 10 minutes. Then serve with hot steamed white rice. 
9. This dish is very popular among Bengalis and it tastes divine.

                                   


 

Happy Durga Puja to all.

Comments