Pantua/ Gulabjamun

Pantua, Ladykenny,Gulabjamun, Indian sweets,Festive sweets, Bengali sweets, bangali misti,

Pantua/Gulabjamun:


When I was in pre-school everyday Dadu(Grandpa) used to pick me up from school and he buys me Roshogolla after my school is over. In the 'Mistir Dokan'(sweet shop) Pantua or Ladykenny was also in the showcase with other sweets. I crave for those, and Dadu doesn't want to buy me those as they are fried ones. As a kid, I don't understand what fried and whatnot, Roshogolla is white and the color of Pantua drools me a lot. We all know that it is kids' habit that if you said them 'NO' about anything they will nag for it more. I am no different in that and my Dadu also not ever agree to buy me those. This cold war runs for a long time until one day my Dida(grandmom) came along with Dadu and when I point my finger to the container of Pantua and she agreed to buy me. Dadu again said no no those are fried ones not good for a small kid, but Dida somehow managed to convince Dadu and I got Pantua. The taste of that Pantua I never forget, it is in my mind, getting something after a long wait is always precious. From then I have some soft corners for Pantua, it brings my childhood memory back. My grandparents back in my vision. 

Famous sweet Gulabjamun when it comes to West Bengal it becomes Pantua. It is not very hard to make but a bit tricky. The measurement of each and every ingredient is needed to be perfect otherwise, it will break while frying or get hard or will not puff as it needs to be. I use mainly Mawa/ Khoya and other ingredients to make Pantua. It is a full proof recipe if followed no problem will be there and it will be as good as store ones or better cause they are fresh and homemade.

Follow my recipe and make this festive season more bright with homemade sweets.

Pantua, Ladykenny,Gulabjamun, Indian sweets,Festive sweets, Bengali sweets, bangali misti,

Some other sweets from my kitchen :
Sandesh
Baked Roshogolla
Narkel Naru
Mango Malai Cham Cham
Roshogolla

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Course- Dessert/ sweet dish(Pantua)
Dish - Bengali
Author - Usashi Mandal
Serves - 5
Preparation time - 30 minutes
Cooking time - 30 minutes

Pantua, Ladykenny,Gulabjamun, Indian sweets,Festive sweets, Bengali sweets, bangali misti,

Ingredients:

1 tbsp of semolina/ suji
1 cup of mawa powder/grated khoya
1 cup of all-purpose flour
Milk as needed
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cardamom powder                     
1 tsp yellow food color(optional)
2 cup of sugar                                       
2 1/2 cup of water
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp chopped pistachio 
Vegetable oil for frying  

Instructions:


Making sugar syrup:-

1. In a big pan add 2 cups of sugar and 2 1/2 cups of water, boil until sugar dissolves completely. Add a pinch of cardamom powder and mix well. Keep aside.

Making dough for Pantua:-

1. Take a bowl to add mawa powder or grated khoya, all-purpose flour, semolina, baking powder, whole milk( pouring small milk at a time), and make a soft dough.

2. Cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes add 1 pinch of food color(optional)and powder sugar mix it well. Rest it for another 5 to 10 minutes.

3. Wet your hands. Take a small amount of dough and pressing with hands give it a shape like Pantua. Keep the size of sweets small from your desired size, it will puff up after frying and it will be raw from inside and sugar syrup will not enter inside of it.

Pantua, Ladykenny,Gulabjamun, Indian sweets,Festive sweets, Bengali sweets, bangali misti,


Frying Pantua:- 

1. In a deep frying pan heat vegetable oil. Then slowly add Pantua not crowded much and fry it until brown in low flame. If the flame is high then Pantua will take color easily but not cook from inside. 

2. Take out fried Pantua and place it on a paper towel.

3. Warm up the sugar syrup. Add fried Pantua slowly in hot sugar syrup. Let them soak for 3-4 hours, then serve. Serve it hot or refrigerate for 1 hour then serve, as you wish.



Pantua, Ladykenny,Gulabjamun, Indian sweets,Festive sweets, Bengali sweets, bangali misti,


Happy Puja to all!!









Comments